Re: RFC: CONFIG_PAGE_SHIFT (aka software PAGE_SIZE)

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 13:53:34 EST

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 12:26:51AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> The original idea of having a software page size larger than a
> hardware page size, originated at SUSE by myself and Andi Kleen while
> helping AMD to design their amd64 cpu,

Original? This was done on VAXen and in Mach ages ago.

On Linux, there've already been two implementations, one by Hugh
Dickens and an expanded version by Bill Irwin (presented at OLS in
2003).

Bill's patch was notable for going to heroic efforts to maintain
binary compatibility, basically separating the userspace notion of the
ABI's page size from the kernel's. How's your version fair here?