Re: Hibernation Redesign

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 18:14:57 EST

> > > It's FUD. Freezing of tasks normally takes next to no time. I've never
> > > understood the rediculously long timeout it has. If freezing succeeds, all
> > > processes are frozen within 1/2 a second tops. If it fails, nothing is going
> > > to change in the following 19.5 seconds (or whatever it is if I don't
> > > remember the value properly).
> >
> > Right. The 20s timeout is again a sign of brokenness.
>
> Well, "scenario 1/2 - simple/tricky deadlock" is a sign of brokenness,
> too.

Sure. But that one hasn't generated a single bug report (and never
will), because it's so insanely difficult to produce, even if one
explicitly wants to do that. It will just never happen accidentally.

And even if it happens, there's absolutely no side affects on the rest
of the system. You managed to make a process not react to SIGKILL,
well hurray. You can do that more easily with ptrace().

Miklos