Weird oopses with 2.6.22-rc7

From: Christian Kujau
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 19:06:03 EST

Hi there,

Since a few days I'm experiencing weird oopses on my iBook/G4 with ubuntu's 2.6.22-7-powerpc and also with a vanilla 2.6.22-rc7-git8.

Now for the "weird" part: The oops happens when doing "make install" for a piece of software (xine-ui media player) as *root*. No kidding, it does NOT happen when I compile the software and do "make install" as a normal user. This is 100% reproducible, here're some technical infos before I go on describing whe I did:

http://nerdbynature.de/bits/2.6.22-rc7-git8/

I've compiled this software earlier, numerous times, always doing "make" as a user and "sudo make install" afterwards to install to /opt/xine. So when I now tried "make install" as a user I had to chown /opt/xine to the user of course.

Even funnier: the dmesg output was captured when I was in runlevel 1 - here "make install" (as root) did produce an oops too, but the system did NOT panic. I typed "make install" a few times - always an oops, but no panic (in runlevel 1).

The netconsole.log captured the panics as well, but the output is kinda messy (as always), I'll try to reformat the logfile a bit...

When the Oopses started I checked memory (no memtest86 for ppc, but userspace memtest found nothing) and the harddisk (dd'ing from the whole disk) and fsck'ed the ext3 - not a single error. Also, all other applications are running fine (X11, music, video and stuff),
the system is stable as usual.

I even moved the old target-directory (make install...) out of the way and created a new one (new inode, new luck or so) - but to no avail. "fsck.ext3 -D" to reindex the directories, still the Oopses just won't go away. Searching the net for "Unrecoverable FP Unavailable Exception" did not return much :(

Any ideas which magic syscall could cause these oopses?

Thanks,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #409:

The vulcan-death-grip ping has been applied.