Re: [2.6.20.15] CK804 / sata_nv: Reported link speed not as expected.

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Fri Jul 13 2007 - 01:20:47 EST

koan wrote:
Hello, I am not on list so please CC me with any responses.

I recently switched to an nforce4 board and have been looking over my
dmesg output for any oddities. This is a Slackware 12.0 machine with a
custom 2.6.20.15 kernel.

As far as I know, the motherboard is an Nforce4 based (non-ultra/sli,
etc) board. The exact model is Foxconn (Winfast) NF4K8AB-RS (
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/EN-US/Product/motherboard_detail.aspx?ID=en-gb0000027

). It has the latest BIOS available applied.

The product documentation states the board only supports 4x SATA150
connectors and that seems to match the information on this page (
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_family.html ). Three of the disks
are Seagate drives and have the SATA150 clip jumper set. However when
I boot, the kernel output seems to show 2 of the 4 ports operating at
3 Gbps. Is this a known issue and/or something I can safely ignore?

I don't think the NVIDIA page is correct. AFAIK all nForce4 chipsets support SATA 3Gbps transfer speeds.

The kernel doesn't have any control over the default speed chosen by the controller in any case (though it can force it down to a lower speed).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx