Ethernet not functioning on Nvidia MCP51 in 2.6.21

From: Ed W
Date: Sat Jul 14 2007 - 12:59:20 EST

Hi, I am renting a root server which uses an nvidia motherboard and currently has a functioning 2.6.16 kernel. Unfortunately taking the same .config file (make oldconfig) in 2.6.21.6 is apparently not spotting the ethernet controller correctly (for various reasons I need a newer kernel, eventually with some other patches also)

As near as I can find it should be the forcedeth driver being used here. Comparing dmesg on the working kernel and the non-working kernel shows no obvious differences. The working kernel uses no special command line options. Can someone please help me to debug this further?

Symptoms are that dmesg suggests that the driver is being asked to load, but ifconfig does not show any eth0 device?

Relevant chunks of dmesg on the non working kernel are below, full dmesg and lspci and kernel .config are in the links at the end. Grateful for any help debugging this? How do I find out why the driver is finding my hardware, but no eth0 device is being created?

Ed W

loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.20-k2-NAPI
Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.5.17-k2-NAPI
e100: Copyright(c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation
sk98lin: driver has been replaced by the skge driver and is scheduled for removal
Marvell 88E1101: Registered new driver
Marvell 88E1111: Registered new driver
Marvell 88E1145: Registered new driver
Davicom DM9161E: Registered new driver
Davicom DM9131: Registered new driver
Cicada Cis8204: Registered new driver
Cicada Cis8201: Registered new driver
LXT970: Registered new driver
LXT971: Registered new driver
QS6612: Registered new driver
forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.60.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKL] enabled at IRQ 23
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:14.0[A] -> Link [LNKL] -> GSI 23 (level, high) -> IRQ 16
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:14.0 to 64
forcedeth: using HIGHDMA
eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01734:10c6 bound to 0000:00:14.0

00:14.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
Subsystem: Fujitsu Siemens Computer GmbH Unknown device 10c6
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at f2202000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at 8c38 [size=8]

http://www.wildgooses.com/downloads/config
http://www.wildgooses.com/downloads/dmesg.txt