Re: Hibernating To Swap Considered Harmful

From: Joseph Fannin
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 01:38:38 EST

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 11:48:17AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 July 2007 02:45, Joseph Fannin wrote:
> > >
> > > If you're afraid of that, use a dedicated swap file.
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean. A dedicated swap file for what?
>
> Sorry, I should have been more precise.
>
> For hibernation (ie. a swap file that you activate right befor the
> hibernation).
>
> Also tuxonice (formerly known as suspend2) allows you to use regular files
> hibernation.

How is that different from what I proposed, other than the
requirement to pass the swap data stuctures between the two kernels?

Even if you only expect hibernation to work only _most of the
time_, suspending to swap means allocating a bunch of swap space that
you intend to never be used as swap. The two functions don't really
belong together.

--
Joseph Fannin
jfannin@xxxxxxxxx