CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT Patch and UDP/IP on Ethernet in real time.

From: M. Koehrer
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 10:28:25 EST

Hi everybody,

I have a question concerning Ingo Molnar's realtime preempt patch.
This patch is great go get low latency on timer threads and a really
good real time behaviour.
I want to connect an external, embedded device via Ethernet (UDP/IP)
to my Linux PC. This communication should be in real time as well.
For this I have a separate network adapter in my PC that is used
solely for this UDP Ethernet traffic.
However, I think all Ethernet traffic is be handled by
the soft IRQ threads [softirq-net-rx] [softirq-net-tx] but I do
not see a way to do real time networking via my dedicated network adapter.

How can I get this UDP networking real time capable?

I use kernel 2.6.21.6 and the related realtime preempt patch.
However, this is a general question that is not related to a certain kernel
version.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Mathias

--
Mathias Koehrer
mathias_koehrer@xxxxxxxx

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT JETZT bei Arcor: günstig
und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket für clevere Doppel-Sparer,
nur 39,85 ? inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-dsl-2