Re: block/bsg.c

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 20:58:25 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:47:45 -0400 Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:
The modern way of shutting up gcc is uninitialized_var().

Should I convert my misc-2.6.git#gccbug repository over to this, and push upstream?

Opinions differ (a bit) but personally I think the benefit of fixing the
warnings outweighs the risk that these suppressions will later hide a real
bug.

Tooting my own horn, but, anything in #gccbug I consider to be verified to -not- be hiding a real bug. Human-verified not machine-verified, of course, so it's imperfect. But at least it's been reviewed and considered carefully.

I'll look into "tarting up" #gccbug for upstream... I had missed the introduction of uninitialized_var(), which was the genesis for this line of questioning.

Jeff