Re: [git patches 2/2] warnings: use uninitialized_var()

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Jul 18 2007 - 07:31:52 EST

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 05:49:52PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> For many months, I have maintained a hand-verified list of bogus "may be
> used uninitialized" warning fixes, in misc-2.6.git#gccbug. Andrew urged
> me to head these upstream.
>
> I have gone through and re-analyzed each warning, and verified that
> these variables are indeed initialized properly, and gcc is making
> needless noise.

Some notes:
- if gcc can prove a variable gets used uninitialized it gives
a different warning
- gcc says it may be used uninitialized - there can always be false
positives when the correctness of the code is due to some higher
level logic
- I've seen cases in the kernel where it was technically impossible
for the compiler to verify a variable always gets initialized

So if we want these warnings we'll always need to silence the ones that
are verified as being correct code like your patches do - and that's not
gcc's fault.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.