Re: [patch] revert: [NET]: Fix races in net_rx_action vs netpoll

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jul 19 2007 - 06:58:35 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Olaf Kirch <olaf.kirch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 19 July 2007 12:01, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > Calling initcall 0xc0603f55: netpoll_init+0x0/0x39()
> > > initcall 0xc0603f55: netpoll_init+0x0/0x39() returned 0.
> > > initcall 0xc0603f55 ran for 0 msecs: netpoll_init+0x0/0x39()
> > > Calling initcall 0xc0604257: netlink_proto_init+0x0/0x12a()
> > > NET: Registered protocol family 16
> > >
> > > and no output ever since - and the box has been up for a few minutes.
> >
> > Okay, I need to ask a stupid question - did you verify that it's not
> > spinning on a spinlock?

ok, i just to make my description clearer: 'netconsole output hung'
means that on the netconsole-receiving box (which is not the laptop with
the problem) i dont get any netconsole output printed. (i.e. UDP packets
are not being sent by the laptop.) The above snippet is the last i get.
Otherwise the laptop boots up fine, but has that early tx timeout and
subsequently no networking. I can still do things on the laptop as
normal, but eth0 irqs do not advance (are stuck at 5) and networking is
stuck.

i.e. it's the classic 'eth0 got stuck somehow' tx/rx state machine
hickup symptoms, with no other bad symptoms such as lockups or crashes.

Ingo