Re: Linux, tcpdump and vlan

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Fri Jul 20 2007 - 15:58:41 EST

Another idea - perhaps we could make the software VLANs behave
the same as hw ones? I.e., stripping the tag on RX while setting
some magic skb field?

The packets could go via main interface first (normal path, with
eth_type_trans stripping the tag and setting protocol = some 802.1Q),
netif_rx | netif_receive_skb, then through the VLAN device with
finally eth_type_trans setting the IPv4 etc. protocol to pass to
L3 layers.

I can see potential problems on TX, the packets would have to be
presented without the tag (but with VLAN ID set somewhere in the skb)
and that probably means all drivers would have to be modified.

Seems a bit of work, I know my message is missing the patch...
--
Krzysztof Halasa