[BUG] Re: [broken-out-2007-07-20-00-22] kernel bug at kernel/params:570

From: Satyam Sharma
Date: Sat Jul 21 2007 - 02:39:30 EST

On 7/21/07, Satyam Sharma <satyam.sharma@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
%eax == ffffffea == -22 == -EINVAL.

But:

When I replace the BUG_ON() with Greg's (or my modified) patch,
the kernel ignores that error as we wanted, but _still_ crashes before
finding the root block device (because ATA is not in kernel and my
system seems to require it). Unfortunately, lots of dmesg output
has scrolled up by then, and our "printk" is lost. Because of no
CONFIG_ATA, nothing gets written to disk either.

The following hack worked:

if (ret) {
printk("~~~~~ .%s.%d.%s. ~~~~~\n", name, ret, kparam->name);
for (;;)
cpu_relax();
}

So I just hung my testbox at the point the info I wanted was printed out :-)

I hand-copied the following from the screen:

*****

The kobject at, or inside cpu_devices+0x10/0xe0 is not dynamically
allocated.
The kobject at, or inside cpu_devices+0x10/0xe0 is not dynamically
allocated. (printed twice)
WARNING: at lib/kobject.c:220 kobject_shadow_add()
show_trace
dump_stack
kobject_shadow_add+0x65/0x1b6
kobject_add
kernel_param_sysfs_setup
param_sysfs_init

~~~~~ ..-22.mtrr.show. ~~~~~

*****

Something wrong with "cpu_devices" and "mtrr.show" in 22-mm1 me thinks.
Wonder if latest -git is already fixed? Spent 4 hours on this, at least :-p

BTW "kobject at, or inside cpu_devices+0x10/0xe0 is not dynamically
allocated" sounds like something that could, and should, have been
caught at build time ...

Satyam