Re: [RFC, Announce] Unified x86 architecture, arch/x86

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Sat Jul 21 2007 - 06:38:11 EST

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 00:32 +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> We are pleased to announce a project we've been working on for some
> time: the unified x86 architecture tree, or "arch/x86" - and we'd like
> to solicit feedback about it.

Oooh, shiny. We've been talking about how useful this would be for
years. Experience with the unification of PowerPC shows that it's
definitely the right thing to do -- it reduces the number of gratuitous
differences between 32-bit and 64-bit code, and makes it far more easier
to ensure that bug-fixes and new features get added to both at the same
time.

> When should this go upstream?
>
> We actually think that the sooner we get over with this, the better.

I'm inclined to agree.

--
dwmw2