SCSI vs SATA

From: BuraphaLinux Server
Date: Mon Jul 23 2007 - 06:52:42 EST

Hello,

I have had a hard time determining if /dev/sda is SCSI or SATA
from my boot scripts. It matters for smartd which needs an added
parameter -d sat in the configuration file for SATA drives. Finally I
came up with this, but I wonder if there is a better way? It appears
that
vendor is "ATA " (5 trailing spaces) for SATA. If the kernel is
ever fixed to show proper vendor information (Maxtor, Seagate,
whatever) then how can I know if /dev/sda is SCSI or SATA from a bash
script? When flaming me, please also include the proper solution.
Thanks.

#! /bin/bash
drive="sda"
vendor=$(</sys/block/${drive}/device/vendor)
if [[ "${vendor}" = "ATA " ]]
then
printf "SATA\n"
else