__unsafe() usage

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Jul 23 2007 - 14:00:34 EST

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 09:05:54AM -0700, Nelson, Shannon wrote:
> Gabriel C [mailto:nix.or.die@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I got this warning on current git using gcc 4.2.1 :

> >drivers/dma/ioatdma.c: In function 'ioat_init_module':
> >drivers/dma/ioatdma.c:816: warning: the address of
> >'__this_module' will always evaluate as 'true'

I'm less interested in why this gives a warning, more interesting is the
code:
__unsafe(THIS_MODULE);

@Rusty:
As far as I understand it, __unsafe() wasn't intended for such a usage,
and simply not providing an exit function would be the right solution?
If this is true, and since the MOD_INC_USE_COUNT compat code is long
gone, shouldn't we be able to completely remove __unsafe() and the
struct member "unsafe"?

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.