Re: Git tree for old kernels from before the current tree

From: Nicolas Pitre
Date: Mon Jul 23 2007 - 15:06:24 EST

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> >
> > I started this once.
> >
> > I have (sort of) a GIT tree with all Linux revisions that I could find
> > from v0.01 up to v1.0.9. But the most interesting information and also
> > what is the most time consuming is the retrieval of announcement
> > messages for those releases in old mailing list or newsgroup archives to
> > serve as commit log data. It seems to be even arder to find for post
> > v1.0 releases.
>
> Yes, I agree. Google finds some of them, but (a) I was never very good
> about announcements anyway and (b) there's nothing really good to search
> for, so it's very hit-and-miss.
>
> Some of the really early release notes are easy to find, just because I
> made them available with the sources, but mostly I'd just have posten to
> the newsgroup/mailing lists.

That's what I used when available, especially to properly time stamp
those commits. Using the latest date on files included in the archive
isn't always reliable.

OK so actually what I have is from v0.01 up to v1.0 creating 93 commits.

What is missing is:

- v0.02 sources

- v0.10 announcement

- v0.96 sources

- v0.99.12 announcement

- sources for v0.99.13{abcdefghij} (got k, don't know where the serie
ends) as well as announcements for all of them

- all announcements for v0.99.14{a-z} except for pl14r

- announcements for pl15c to pl15j, 1.0-pre1, and ALPHA-1.0.

Otherwise the archive appears fairly complete with almost 3 years of
Linux development history captured in a 3MB pack file.

Nicolas