Re: "build-id" changes break sparc64

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Mon Jul 23 2007 - 16:32:42 EST

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 01:05:00PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > > Shouldn't you compare:
> > > rm vmlinux*; find . -name built-in.o -print | xargs rm
> > > time make vmlinux
> > > or something like that?
> >
> > No. You are talking about the time of full build; there it would
> > be relevant. For incrementals it's definitely not so.
>
> Ah, I see what you are testing. Well, a fair test then is to do something
> that would actually happen, which is almost never just "rm vmlinux".
> i.e., at least one ld -r -o foo/built-in.o from changing one source file.

The normal case is one change somewhere => build kernel.
That can be tested by a simple
rm mm/memory.o; /usr/sbin/time make vmlinux

I will try that later.
For now I'm building an allyesconfig just to see if the build actually completes.
It is quite a number of .o files to link in one go and I fear ld will blow up
and make my machine go OOM.

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 75
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2000.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
bogomips : 4011.99
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 75
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2000.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
bogomips : 4011.99
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64