Re: [RFH] Partion table recovery

From: Rene Herman
Date: Mon Jul 23 2007 - 23:47:18 EST

On 07/23/2007 10:08 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Al Boldi wrote:

As always, a good friend of mine managed to scratch my partion table by cat'ing /dev/full into /dev/sda. I was able to push him out of the way, but at least the first 100MB are gone. I can probably live without the first partion, but there are many partitions after that, which I hope should easily be recoverable.

I tried parted, but it's not working out for me. Does anybody know of a simple partition recovery tool, that would just scan the disk for lost partions?
You have gotten a bunch of thoughts on this, I will just say that plain old "fdisk -l" saved somewhere safe is probably all you need, in human readable format. Doesn't do you any good now, but all the complicated schemes discussed don't thrill me, I want to be able to see this, and recovery by partition table manual rebuild is so rare I would rather do it by hand than trust some software I rarely use.

ACK. Or NNAK (Non-NAK) at least...

Rene.