Re: 2.6.22-git17 boot failure

From: Tilman Schmidt
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 06:36:34 EST

Olaf Hering schrieb:
> On Tue, Jul 24, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
>> > Andi, any thoughts about how to debug the suse boot sequence?
>
> The SuSE boot sequence is rather long. Which part (and which version) are we talking about?

Quick summary of the problem:

Opensuse 10.2 32-bit install on a Pentium D 940
Kernel 2.6.22-git17 or later (last reproduced with 2.6.23-rc1)
A kernel built with CONFIG_XEN=y fails to detect the SATA disks during
boot, so the root filesystem cannot be mounted and I'm thrown into
the emergency /bin/sh. With CONFIG_XEN=n everything works fine.

Netconsole logs with initcall_debug=1 of a successful and a
failing startup and corresponding .config-s are available at
http://www.phnxsoft.com/~ts/linux/

> As Andi said, putting a 'set -x' into /init script generated by /sbin/mkinitrd
> is one thing.

I'll try. I guess I'll have to unpack/repack the finished initrd
image (gzipped cpio archive, AFAICS) for that - or is there a way
to have mkinitrd inject that statement for me?

> You can also boot with 'linuxrc=trace' to generate a huge
> amount of udev and /init debug.

That looks simple enough, so I'll try that first, although it looks
to me like the trouble happens before udev comes into play.

> Booting with 'confirm' will allow you to step each runlevel script, see
> /etc/init.d/boot, look for DO_CONFIRM=.

Thanks,
Tilman

--