Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 03:25:42 EST

david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

And constructed test cases of course are useful as well, I didn't say
they weren't. I don't know what you mean by "acceptable", but you should
read my last paragraph again.

this problem has been around for many years, with many different people working on solutions. it's hardly a case of getting a proposal and trying to get it in without anyone looking at other options.

What is "this problem"? People have an updatedb problem that is solved
by swap prefetching which I want to fix in a different way.

There would be a different problem of "run something that uses heaps of
memory and swap everything else out, then quit it, wait for a while, and
swap prefetching helps". OK, definitely swap prefetching would help there.
How much? I don't know. I'd be slightly surprised if it was like an order
of magnitude, because not only swap but everything else has been thrown
out too.

it seems that there are some people (not nessasarily including you) who will oppose this feature until a test is created that shows that it's better. the question is what sort of test will be accepted as valid? I'm not useing this patch, but it sounds as if the people who are useing it are interested in doing whatever testing is required, but so far the situation seems to be a series of "here's a test", "that test isn't valid, try again" loops. which don't seem to be doing anyone any good

And yet despite my repeated pleas, none of those people has yet spent a
bit of time with me to help analyse what is happening.

and are frustrating lots of people, so like several people over the last few days O'm asking the question, "what sort of test would be acceptable as proof that this patch does some good?"

I don't think any further proof is needed that the patch does "some"
good. Rig up a test case and you could see some seconds shaved off it.
Maybe you want to know "how to get this patch merged"? And I don't know
that one. I do know that it is fuzzy, and probably doesn't include
demanding things of Andrew or Linus.

BTW. If you find out the answer to that one, let me know because I have
this lockless pagecache patch that has also been around for years, is
also just a few hundred lines in the VM, and does do some good too. I'm
sure the buffered AIO people and many others would also like to know.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.