Re: [ck] Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 07:07:10 EST

Jos Poortvliet wrote:

Nick
has been talking about 'fixing the updatedb thing' for years now, no patch
yet.

Wrong Nick, I think.

First I heard about the updatedb problem was a few months ago with people
saying updatedb was causing their system to swap (that is, swap prefetching
helped after updatedb). I haven't been able to even try to fix it because I
can't reproduce it (I'm sitting on a machine with 256MB RAM), and nobody
has wanted to help me.

Besides, he won't fix OO.o nor all other userspace stuff - so actually,
he does NOT even promise an alternative. Not that I think fixing updatedb
would be cool, btw - it sure would, but it's no reason not to include swap
prefetch - it's mostly unrelated.

I think everyone with >1 gb ram should stop saying 'I don't need it' because
that's obvious for that hardware. Just like ppl having a dual- or quadcore
shouldn't even talk about scheduler interactivity stuff...

Actually there are people with >1GB of ram who are saying it helps. Why do
you want to shut people out of the discussion?

Desktop users want it, tests show it works, there is no alternative and the
maybe-promised-one won't even fix all cornercases. It's small, mostly
selfcontained. There is a maintainer. It's been stable for a long time. It's
been in MM for a long time.

Yet it doesn't make it. Andrew says 'some ppl have objections' (he means
Nick) and he doesn't see an advantage in it (at least 4 gig ram, right,
Andrew?).

Do I miss things?

You could try constructively contributing?

Apparently, it didn't get in yet - and I find it hard to believe Andrew
holds swapprefetch for reasons like the above. So it must be something else.

Nick is saying tests have already proven swap prefetch to be helpfull,
that's not the problem. He calls the requirements to get in 'fuzzy'. OK.

The test I have seen is the one that forces a huge amount of memory to
swap out, waits, then touches it. That speeds up, and that's fine. That's
a good sanity test to ensure it is working. Beyond that there are other
considerations to getting something merged.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.