Re: RFC: CONFIG_PAGE_SHIFT (aka software PAGE_SIZE)

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 13:54:27 EST

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 04:39:04PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> For the kernel stack btw, when alloc_pages(order=1) fails vmalloc
> should be used and 4k stacks can be dropped. Nobody does dma from the
> stack anymore these days IIRC (it doesn't work in all archs anyway).

I have recent code for that circulating, albeit intended for debugging
purposes. There's nothing particularly debug-oriented about it, though,
apart from the fact a guard page is automatically set up by vmalloc()
and that the use of vmalloc() is unconditional.

As for the rest, I'm sure there could be a lively conversation, but
consensus, so I'll let it go.

-- wli