Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 02:07:28 EST

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:53:37 +1000 Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not that I want to say anything about swap prefetch getting merged: my
> inbox is already full of enough "helpful suggestions" about that,

give them the kernel interfaces, they can do it themselves ;)

> so I'll
> just be happy to have a look at little things like updatedb.

Yes, that is a little thing. I mean, even if the kernel's behaviour
during an updatedb run was "perfect" (ie: does what we the designers
curently intend it to do (whatever that is)) then the core problem isn't
solved: short-term workload evicts your working set and you have to
synchronously reestablish it.