Re: updatedb

From: Rene Herman
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 04:03:35 EST

On 07/26/2007 09:08 AM, Bongani Hlope wrote:

On Thursday 26 July 2007 08:56:59 Rene Herman wrote:

Great. Now concentrate on the "swpd" column, as it's the only thing relevant here. The fact that an updatedb run fills/replaces caches is completely and utterly unsurprising and not something swap-prefetch
helps with. The only thing it does is bring back stuff from _swap_.

;)

I have 2Gb of RAM and I never ever touched swap on all my work loads. I
was just showing the behavior of updatedb on my desktop. I have never
even looked at the swap-prefetch patch (for obvious reasons).

I see... thanks for the report :)

I think people should also look at their /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio

In the sense that current stuff might be evicted earlier with no or little overcommit?

Rene.