Re: updatedb

From: Tilman Schmidt
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 09:32:58 EST

Rene Herman schrieb:
> On 07/27/2007 01:48 PM, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
>> I believe the users who say their apps really do get paged back in
>> though, so suspect that's not the case.
>
> Stopping the bush-circumference beating, I do not. -ck (and gentoo) have
> this massive Calimero thing going among their users where people are much
> less interested in technology than in how the nasty big kernel meanies are
> keeping them down (*).

I think the problem is elsewhere. Users don't say: "My apps get paged
back in." They say: "My system is more responsive". They really don't
care *why* the reaction to a mouse click that takes three seconds with
a mainline kernel is instantaneous with -ck. Nasty big kernel meanies,
OTOH, want to understand *why* a patch helps in order to decide whether
it is really a good idea to merge it. So you've got a bunch of patches
(aka -ck) which visibly improve the overall responsiveness of a desktop
system, but apparently no one can conclusively explain why or how they
achieve that, and therefore they cannot be merged into mainline.

I don't have a solution to that dilemma either.

--
Tilman Schmidt E-Mail: tilman@xxxxxxx
Bonn, Germany