Re: How can we make page replacement smarter (was: swap-prefetch)

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Sun Jul 29 2007 - 00:08:31 EST

Al Boldi wrote:
Chris Snook wrote:

At best, reads can be read-ahead and cached, which is why
sequential swap-in sucks less. On-demand reads are as expensive as I/O
can get.

Which means that it should be at least as fast as swap-out, even faster because write to disk is usually slower than read on modern disks. But linux currently shows a distinct 2x slowdown for sequential swap-in wrt swap-out.

That's because writes are faster than reads in moderate
quantities.

The disk caches writes, allowing the OS to write a whole
bunch of data into the disk cache and the disk can optimize
the IO a bit internally.

The same optimization is not possible for reads.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group