Re: Problems with reading DVD using 2.6.21.5

From: Manuel Reimer
Date: Sun Jul 29 2007 - 07:44:14 EST

Robert Hancock wrote:
It's not entirely clear to me whether the kernel is doing any retries or not. It likely should be, but somebody more familiar with the block layer would likely have to answer whether it will be or not..

Would be pretty great to get answer of someone, who knows if the kernel retries on errors.

As remounting fixes the problem, I think it doesn't have to do anything with the IDE driver, right? The device node should always be connected with the physical device, even if unmount. So the "problem" seems to be in the part, which converts "device node" to "readable filesystem" by mounting the device node to mount point (ISO 9660 driver?). Seems like this part gets restarted by remounting.

So the question is: What exactly will this "ISO 9660 driver" do, if there is a read error? Will it mark this "failed byte" as "unreadable" and will never try again, or will it try again for at least one ore more times?

Certainly if we are already retrying and the drive keeps saying "no seek complete" there's not much the kernel can do about it..

Thats, of course, true, but it would be pretty interesting to know, if the kernel does retrying...

Thanks in advance

CU

Manuel