Re: How can we make page replacement smarter

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Sun Jul 29 2007 - 11:14:37 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
Files are different. File content tends to be grouped
in large related chunks, both logically in the file and
on disk. Generally there is a lot more file data on a
system than what fits in memory.

Binary paging patterns don't always look like that unfortunately although
I suspect we might want to be weighing towards paging out R/O file mapped
pages earlier simply because they are bigger linear chunks

A properly implemented use-once algorithm should be able
to filter out the spatial locality of reference pages from
the temporal locality of reference ones, though...

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group