Re: Linus 2.6.23-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jul 29 2007 - 19:18:56 EST

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, George Sescher wrote:
> <chuckle>
>
> You're advocating plugsched now?

I'd suggest people here take a look at the code. It's not what Ingo was
saying, and it's not what the code is set up to do. He's just stating that
the way he split up the files, it's actually easier from a patching
standpoint to just create a new file to include instead of
"kernel/sched_fair.c".

But quite frankly, I've seen a lot of totally stupid flamage, and very
little actual sense in this discussion. People probably didn't even look
at the patches. Did you?

For example, how hard is it for people to just admit that CFS actually
does better than SD on a number of things? Including very much on the
desktop.

Ingo posted numbers. Look at those numbers, and then I would suggest some
people could seriously consider just shutting up. I've seen too many
idiotic people who claim that Con got treated unfairly, without those
people admitting that maybe I had a point when I said that we have had a
scheduler maintainer for years that actually knows what he's doing.

And no, it has never been about "desktop" vs "servers", or similar
claptrap. It's been about improving the scheduler.

Linus