Re: Is PIE randomization breaking klibc binaries?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 08:16:31 EST

Jiri Kosina wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

I just now quickly tried to with klibc-1.5 on i386 with the PIE-randomization patched kernel, and it seems to load static libraries fine. I just downloaded klibc-1.5, built it, and executed a few of the programs in usr/utils/static, all of them worked. Does this also work for you and you are experiencing the problems solely when the binaries are being run from initramfs during boot? I will test more shortly (on x86_64, directly from initramfs) in order to reproduce.
What about shared binaries?

Works for me too on the pie-randomization patched kernel.

So it seems to me that either it is something x86_64 specific or initramfs-specific. Will try to reproduce it.

My guess would be the former, rather than the latter. I haven't had a chance to reproduce it myself yet (I'm on the road), but I will try to get the time tomorrow.