Re: 2.6.22 regression: thermal trip points

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 06:54:24 EST

> Also it runs the system out of spec and is similar to overclocking
> which we also do not support.

We do not systematically prevent overclocking. There are lots of cases
where altering the trip points is helpful, and if you look in vendor
bugzilla databases there are multiple moans from people whose laptops now
run slow, or in many cases are simply unusable as a result of Len's
change.

Given you can achieve some of the same result by not loading the relevant
ACPI code in the first place your argument makes no rational sense at all.

Set a taint flag, print a loud message but don't stop users actually
doing things they intend as root. Or have you forgotten the original Unix
philosophy too ?

> > Here we had obviously-useful-to-you functionality which was taken away
> > without, afaik, providing any alternative.
>
> I don't think it's that unreasonable to require source code modifications
> for anything that can kill hardware.

As root you can erase the bios, lock the hard disk with a random
password, reflash your video card ....

Sorry Andi, you simply do not know better than all end users.

Alan