Re: VIA EPIA EK: strange eth dev numbering

From: Herbert Rosmanith
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 07:12:43 EST

> > cards around), eth0 would also suddenly become a different one. There never
> > *were* days when eth0 remained eth0 across such changes.
>
> but there *were* days when eth0 was eth0, if the kernel reports it as such.
> now there is no eth0 at all. if I see an "eth0" from dmesg, I expect
> it to be present.

hm, well, a thought, maybe udev should report what is doing, like
printinig "renamed eth0 to eth2", or such.

the problem with this device renaming in my case was that other software,
in particular dhcpcd, didnt get any lease, because (obviously?) dhcpcd
on the other hand _still_ seemed to look for eth0, and thus, after
booting, there was no network configured at all.

Maybe the name "eth0" is hardcoded in the gentoo init scripts, I dont know.

Can this be considered a distrubtion bug?

cheers,
herp