Re: 2.6.22 regression: thermal trip points

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 08:58:34 EST

> > Set a taint flag,
> That's hardly any useful if the machine is dead afterwards.

It won't be the hardware will do a failsafe shutdown first.

> You'll just end up with "Linux destroyed my laptop" headlines all
> over the internet and rightfully very annoyed users.

You have to systematically sit down and tweak your machine.

> The philosophy didn't include physically destroying hardware
> as far as I know.

It most certainly did. With safety checks you could override.

> > As root you can erase the bios,
> We don't ship the devbios driver for good reasons.

Thats debatably a bad reason (the user space API is wrong thats all), and
one thats totally inconsistent with some of the other drivers we do ship.

> > lock the hard disk with a random
> > password, reflash your video card ....
>
> That all requires significant effort and custom software. It's not that we
> have a one liner echo destroy > /sys/.../flash-bios.

Well you can do the hard disk one in one line of perl, the video card one
in a small bit of C. And this merely makes the argument that raising the
trip points should be harder.

Alan