Re: gcc fixed size char array initialization bug - known?

From: Guennadi Liakhovetski
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 18:36:48 EST

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Stefan Richter wrote:

> How should gcc know whether you actually wanted that char foo[len] to
> contain a \0 as last element?

Robert, Stefan, I am sorry, I think, you are VERY wrong here. There is no
"even" and no guessing. The "string" DOES include a terminating '\0'. It
is EQUIVALENT to {'s', 't', 'r', 'i', 'n', 'g', '\0'}. And it contains
SEVEN characters. Please, re-read your K&R. Specifically, the Section
"Initialization" in the "Function and Program Structure" chapter (section
4.9 in my copy), the paragraph about initialization with a string, which I
quoted in an earlier email.

And, Stefan, there is a perfect way to specify a "0123" without the '\0' -

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski