Re: [REGRESSION] tg3 dead after s2ram

From: Michael Chan
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 18:44:17 EST

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 15:06 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: "Michael Chan" <mchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:10:29 -0700
>
> > Alternatively, we can also fix it by calling pci_enable_device() again
> > in tg3_open(). But I think it is better to just always save and restore
> > in suspend/resume. bnx2.c will also require the same fix.
>
> We could do it that way. But don't you think it's more reliable to
> save and restore around the event we know will be what clobbers the
> PCI config space on us? :-)

Yes for sure when netif state is running and we were already doing that.

> Other things might happen between ->resume() and ->open() that could
> modify PCI config space, and we could overwrite such changes if we do
> the PCI restore in ->open().

I suggested calling pci_enable_device() in ->open(), not calling
pci_restore_state() in ->open(). I ultimately decided against it
because some devices do not enable memory as a workaround and it would
be messy to deal with it again in tg3_open().

I definitely agree that calling PCI restore in ->open() is a bad idea.
We used to save PCI state in ->probe() once and restore PCI state after
every chip reset. This sequence caused many subtle problems.