Re: gcc fixed size char array initialization bug - known?

From: Carlo Florendo
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 01:00:45 EST

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Randy Dunlap wrote:

C99 spec that Al referred you to (available for around US$18 as a pdf)
says in 6.7.8, para. 14 (where Al said):

"An array of character type may be initialized by a character string literal, optionally
enclosed in braces. Successive characters of the character string literal (including the
terminating null character if there is room or if the array is of unknown size) initialize the
elements of the array."

Wow... So, the terminating '\0' in the string constant IS "special" and "optional"... Ok, then, THIS does answer my question, THIS I can understand, and, ghm, accept...

Thanks to all who tried to explain this to me and sorry it took so long...

You should not have asked in the first place. The declaration

char c[4] = "abcd"

is perfectly valid. There is no cause for debate about it :)

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City