Re: about modularization

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 11:29:14 EST

* debian developer <debiandev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 1 - Can someone please explain why the kernel can be modular in
> > every other aspect, including offering a choice of IO schedulers,
> > but not kernel schedulers?
>
> Good question. has been answered in other threads. Linus does'nt like
> having separate kernel schedulers.

not just Linus, but neither me nor Nick Piggin, nor a ton of other
kernel hackers agree with that idea, for numerous technical reasons,
as it has been discussed to death already ;-)

and the last but not least point, although they might sound pretty
similar, there is quite a bit of difference between "IO schedulers" and
"CPU schedulers", just like there is quite a bit of difference between
"Paris Hilton" and "The Hilton, Paris" =B-)

Ingo