Re: serial flow control appears broken

From: Lee Howard
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 14:19:19 EST

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Lee Howard wrote:

Okay, so let's say we've got a loop around a blocking read on the modem file
descriptor...

for (;;) {
read some data from modem
process data from modem
if (end-of-data detected) break;
}

Are you suggesting that the application should be using deasserting RTS after
the read and asserting it before?

It certainly could -- you were asking how it would know. ;-)

So, to test... I put this in the application before every read:

int flags;
ioctl(modemFd, TIOCMGET, &flags);
flags |= TIOCM_RTS;
ioctl(modemFd, TIOCMSET, &flags);

and this after:

int flags;
ioctl(modemFd, TIOCMGET, &flags);
flags &= ~TIOCM_RTS;
ioctl(modemFd, TIOCMSET, &flags);

Now I can see the RTS light blink on the modem (and during heavy communication it merely "dims" depending on the amount of delay in the processing.

However, it does not help. Data still goes missing.

Thanks,

Lee.