Re: 2.6.23-rc1 regression: hwmon/w83627ehf: wrong fan speed

From: Mark M. Hoffman
Date: Sun Aug 05 2007 - 11:22:26 EST

Hi Stefan:

* Stefan Richter <stefanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2007-08-05 16:51:07 +0200]:
> Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> > It's more likely the patch before that:
> >
> > hwmon/w83627ehf: Preserve speed reading when changing fan min
>
> I reverted this patch alone and rebooted, still the same problem.
> After reboot:
> 0 RPM for case fan,
> correct CPU fan speed, drops to 1/16 after kmsensors' first refresh
> After unloading and reloading the driver:
> correct speed of case fan,
> correct CPU fan speed, drops to 1/16 after kmsensors' first refresh

OK, thanks for trying that. I'll keep looking here.

> > I'll reexamine the patch series here. If you have time, it would help if you
> > could do a git bisect. Use this command:
> >
> > $ git bisect start v2.6.23-rc2 v2.6.22-rc5 drivers/hwmon/w83627ehf.c
> >
> > Doing it this way will force you to reboot between tests; I think we would
> > need that anyway.
>
> I'll try to reserve the time for that on some evening next week.
> Thanks,

There are a total of 9 patches between v2.6.22-rc5 and v2.6.23-rc2, so the
bisection shouldn't take long. Also, please enable HWMON_DEBUG when you do
this, and send the resulting syslog messages. Thanks.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx