RE : Re: Complete freeze if high traffic on standard serial line on ia32?

From: Etienne Lorrain
Date: Mon Aug 06 2007 - 04:42:55 EST

--- Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I can reliably (6 times in one hour) freeze completely (Scroll lock/Caps lock
> > flashing together, mouse frozen in X) my PC (AMD sempron on MSI K8MM3-V K8M800
> > Socket 754) by doing an FTP using a standard modem connected on the serial port
> > of the motherboard, and a bit of browsing (i.e. machine not loaded).
> > That happens on standard Fedora 7 kernel and on the latest 23-rc1 kernel, and
> > doesn't happen on a Puppy Linux 2.17 bootable CDROM.
>
> Can you get this to happen outside of X at all (eg if you do a yum update
> and pull in packages over the modem for a while with 2.6.23-rc1 does it
> die). Just trying to work out what has become unstable.
>
> Also worth trying to see if browsing web type stuff off a CD or local
> files triggers it without the network link.

Did a few more tests:
- Cannot reproduce without X running and on display (i.e. Crtl-Alt-F1 and FTP works)
- Tried another video board (Matrox AGP) and everything works.
- With the motherboard integrated video (identified by its VESA BIOS name as
VIA K8M800), it can fail even without doing an FTP - but you need to browse - i.e.
serial modem connection needs to be active. This video card claims to use shared
video memory.
- I tried to find few logs files of X (I do not know much in this area) but since
I have added the Matrox AGP board, and removed it, X refuses to start. I did not
have time to inverstigate why.

Etienne.