Re: Marvell 88E8056 gigabit ethernet controller

From: Kevin E
Date: Sat Aug 18 2007 - 09:59:57 EST

--- Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, in this trace, both controllers are on the same
> bus. The broken
> one has 'Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error
> Reporting' the other
> does not have, and the bridge to this bus has two
> more capabilities :
> 'Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel' and
> 'Capabilities: [180] Unknown (5)'.
>
> I don't know whether it can jutify a different
> behaviour. Also, maybe this
> is caused by a minuscule difference in the BIOS
> setup ?

I just checked the BIOS' between the two machines and
there was one slight difference. Working machine I
had serial port turned off and the parallel port setup
differently, so I made changes to the broken machines
BIOS so they are identical. After making the change I
checked 'lspci -vvv' on the broken one and it's the
same output as before.

I tested the Marvell interface to see if it made any
difference and the line died after about a second of
transfering data. dmesg reported this:

sky2 eth1: enabling interface
sky2 eth1: ram buffer 0K
sky2 eth1: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex, flow
control both
sky2 0000:04:00.0: error interrupt status=0x80000000
sky2 eth1: hw error interrupt status 0x8
sky2 eth1: MAC parity error
sky2 0000:04:00.0: error interrupt status=0x80000000
sky2 eth1: hw error interrupt status 0x8
sky2 eth1: MAC parity error
sky2 eth1: disabling interface

Kevin