Trouble booting with new 2.6.22.3 kernel

From: Hex Star
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 15:19:51 EST

Hello, I am running Kubuntu 7.04 on a mac mini (specs attached via
info.html). For learning purposes I am trying to custom build a
2.6.22.3 kernel from source and boot from it. My plan was to use the
distributions .config file (and I specified the settings for options
that were added since the last kernel included with Kubuntu which is
(and is what I have now reverted to) Linux hexstar-desktop
2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Thu Jun 7 20:19:32 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux).
I have attached the .config file used in the building of the 2.6.22.3
kernel. Below is the error:

Starting up...
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
[ 32.227452] i8042.c: No controller found
[ 32.228426] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
on unknown-block(0,0)

That is the correct block however and it is of ext3 format. I have
made sure that the ext3 module is built into the kernel and have tried
it as a module and both times I get the same error. I am not sure why
it can't find the controller? Does my controller not have support in
the latest kernel?

Please CC me replies to this post, thanks! :)