Re: 2.6.23-rc3-mm1 - irda goes belly up

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 14:45:34 EST

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:37:55 +0400, Alexey Dobriyan said:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:33:46AM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 02:06:48 PDT, Andrew Morton said:
> > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.23-rc3/2.6.23-rc3-mm1/
> >
> > OK, so I don't actually *use* the irDA on my laptop for much, but I figure if
> > I have the hardware, I should at least make sure the driver comes up.
> >
> > 23-rc3-mm1 causes massive spewage, apparently at least partially as a fall-out
> > of the sysctl rework. Not sure if those caused the 'unknown symbol' issues or
> > not. The 'cannot allocate memory' is somewhat odd too, I can't believe it was
> > *really* out of memory while still in /etc/rc5.d when I have 2G of ram...
>
> Eric is a bit sadistic with sysctls. If sysctl_check_table() fails
> irda_sysctl_register() will think there is no memory.

Ahh.. overloading a failure code. OK, I can deal with that...

> As for unknown symbols, hell knows. Same as with multiple syscts errors.
> What have you modprobed exactly and what is $(grep IRDA .config) ?

>From the .config ("turn them all on and see what sticks" here)

CONFIG_IRDA=m

#
# IrDA protocols
#
CONFIG_IRLAN=m
CONFIG_IRNET=m
CONFIG_IRCOMM=m
CONFIG_IRDA_ULTRA=y

#
# IrDA options
#
CONFIG_IRDA_CACHE_LAST_LSAP=y
CONFIG_IRDA_FAST_RR=y
CONFIG_IRDA_DEBUG=y

#
# Infrared-port device drivers
#

#
# SIR device drivers
#
CONFIG_IRTTY_SIR=m

On my doesn't-complain -rc2-mm1 kernel:

% lsmod | grep -i ir
irnet 21409 0
ppp_generic 22177 1 irnet
irtty_sir 8321 0
sir_dev 14473 1 irtty_sir
ircomm_tty 35345 0
ircomm 20425 1 ircomm_tty
irda 188973 5 irnet,irtty_sir,sir_dev,ircomm_tty,ircomm
crc_ccitt 2817 1 irda

My guess is that irda fails to insmod because of the sysctl errors, so when
the other ir* modules try to load, they come up empty on symbols that irda
provides.