Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3-mm1 Kernel panic - not syncing: DMA: Memorywould be corrupted

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 17:23:43 EST

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:22:26 -0700
"Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > __get_free_pages() of swiotlb_alloc_coherent() fails in rc3-mm1.
> > But, it doesn't fail on rc2-mm2, and kernel can boot up.
>
> That looks to be part of the problem here ... failing an order=3
> allocation during boot on a system that just a few lines earlier
> in the boot log reported "Memory: 37474000k/37680640k available"
> looks bad ... but perhaps having *more* memory is part of your problem.
> You may have run low on GFP_DMA memory because some allocation
> scaled by memory size has chewed up a lot of your memory. To check
> this try booting with a "mem=4G" parameter and see if that helps
> you.
>
> But it is also bad that the swiotlb() code failed to handle this.
> Can you check whether the problem is related to the size of the
> allocation being just over 256K (a magic number for swiotlb since
> IO_TLB_SEGSIZE is 128 times a slab size of 2k). Try changing
> lib/swiotlb.c to set IO_TLB_SEGSIZE to 256 instead.

Others are reporting machines which fail int he memory allcoator much
earlier, and which claim to have four CPUs and 16 nodes. So something is
very wonky in the rc3-mm1 page allocator.

I guess suspicion has to be directed at the memoryless-nodes patches, but
until that's cleared up I don't think there's much to be gained from
chasing this iommu problem, now that you've worked out that it's a bogus
memory allocation failure (thanks).