Re: Ideas on column length in kernel "problem"?

From: Andi Drebes
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 06:32:16 EST

> Many free (and not-free) mail clients wordwrap. Hushmail wraps at
> 68 (verified), Yahoo has options to wrap at a max of 99, and Gmail
> was somewhere around 85-90 as I recall. Not sure on other free /
> inexpensive clients.
It happens so often that people send mangled patches that it might be useful
to create a wiki page or something with the most common email clients and a
sample configuration that prevents them from mangling patches. Maybe somebody
feels like doing so in his / her spare time.

> However, several code modules have code lines with column lengths
> well over 80 (the worst I have seen was 211). This prevents people
> with "minimal function" email clients (I'm being generous) from
> making changes in the area of these long code lines, or from even
> submitting fixes for the line length problem in modules themselves.
I think this is also a matter of conding style. Documentation/CodingStyle
says:

"The limit on the length of lines is 80 columns and this is a hard limit."

So actually there shouldn't be any line longer than that. Perhaps it would be
nice to create a patches that shorten the lines and to send them to the
kernel-janitors ml.

<snip>
> Note -- I am well aware that us 'poor users' could just 'get a real
> email service', and if anyone knows of a free/inexpensive mail
> client that will be able to handle the wordwrap requirements for
> the current state of the linux tree please advise.
see above.

Cheers,
Andi