Re: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] USB: driver for iphone charging

From: Alan Stern
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 14:56:09 EST

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Greg KH wrote:

> Can someone with a iphone test this out? If you look at how the
> berry_charge driver does it, the set_config stuff happens after the
> magic command. As I don't have an iphone, nor have I ever seen any
> dumps of the command streams, I don't really know if the set_config
> message really is necessary or not.

You know, now that I think back on it, it may be that the Set-Config
really does have to come after the magic command. Perhaps it triggers
the changeover. In which case the subroutine should look like this:

static int iphone_probe(struct usb_interface *intf,
const struct usb_device_id *id)
{
struct usb_device *udev = interface_to_usbdev(intf);
int rc;

if (udev->actconfig->desc.bConfigurationValue != 3) {
dbg(&udev->dev, "Sending magic comand\n");
rc = usb_control_msg(udev, usb_sndctrlpipe(udev, 0),
0x40, (USB_DIR_OUT | USB_TYPE_VENDOR |
USB_RECIP_DEVICE),
0x6400, 0, NULL, 0, 1000);
if (rc)
dev_err(&udev->dev, "Command failed: %d\n", rc);
else {
dbg(&udev->dev, "Calling set_configuration\n");
rc = usb_driver_set_configuration(udev, 3);
if (rc)
dev_err(&udev->dev, "Set-Config failed: %d\n",
rc);
}
}

/* we don't really want to bind to the device, userspace programs can
* handle the syncing just fine, so get outta here. */
return -ENODEV;
}

However Oliver's point is well taken. This simple sort of manipulation
could easily be done by a user program, started up by udev.

Alan Stern