Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re:LinuxFoundation Technical Advisory Board Elections

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 20:54:52 EST

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 05:01:13PM -0700, Luck, Tony wrote:

> Have there been any more nominations? At the moment we are sitting
> with three people standing for five positions, so the whole concept
> of who should be allowed to vote in the election seems to be moot.

Unless I'm misunderstanding it this is not the last time ever this
election will be held.

And it's best to define election rules in a relaxed situation like now -
it saves you much hassle when there are already fixed rules if there
will ever be for any reason a fierce battle between candidates.

"fixed rules" doesn't has to be complicated, e.g. something like:
- elected by KS attendees
- every attendee has as many votes as open positions available
- no cumulative voting
- the candidates with most votes are elected
- if there's a draw flip a coin
- if requested by at least one attendee, vote will be secret
would work fine and wouldn't result in overhead for uncontroversial
elections.

E.g. the latest SPI Board of Directors elections were followed by a
discussion how different vote counting methods would have changed the
result - but it was only a theoretical discussion since the election
rules are fixed.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.