Re: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] USB: driver for iphone charging

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Sat Aug 25 2007 - 04:52:44 EST

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 12:51:19PM +0200, Bodo Eggert wrote:
> > Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > my berry_charge code that adds support for charging the iphone when it
> > > is plugged into a Linux machine.
> >
> > This should be a runtime option, because you may want to build a non-module
> > kernel and not charge the phone while running your laptop on battery.
>
> Then just don't build this module if you are creating such a kernel :)
>
> Same thing goes for the existing blackberry charge driver too...

So I have to reboot if I want to charge my (blackberry|iphone) on my
laptop?

Even if you say installing 850 KB of software (modutils) in order to
toggle charging an iphone is sane, having to (un)load a module is not
user-friendly.

--
"'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a
sure sign of a diseased mind.'"