Re: [patch 00/28] Add cmpxchg64_local and cmpxchg_local to eacharchitecture

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Aug 27 2007 - 12:22:25 EST

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:52:34 -0400 Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here is the patch series for 2.6.23-rc3-mm1 that adds cmpxchg_local, and now
> also cmpxchg64_local, to each architecture.

How well tested are these on the various architectures?

> When the architecture supports it, it also defines cmpxchg64, but is is not
> defined for architecture that does not support atomic 64 bits updates.
>
> Following performance testing of the slub allocator with cmpxchg_local, these
> patches should prove themselves useful in a near future.

It would be useful if we could have (numerical) details on these benefits as
part of this patch series description, please.

Also, it would be good to get the slub patch in there at the same time so that
the new code gets a bit of exercise.

Thanks.