Re: [RFC] : mm : / Patch / code : Suggestion :snip kswapd &get_page_from_freelist(): No more no page failures. (WHY????)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 20:14:54 EST

Mitchell Erblich wrote:
Nick Piggin wrote:

--------
Nick Piggin, et al,

First diffs would generate alot of noise, since I rip and insert
alot of code based on whether I think the code is REALLY
needed for MY TEST environment. These suggestions are
basicly minimal merge suggestions between my
development envir and the public Linux tree.

That's OK. So long as the patch is against a well known tree, it
is just less ambiguous even if it doesn't actually compile :)

Now the why for this SUGGESTION/PATCH...

When we're in the (min,low) watermark range, we'll wake up kswapd
_before_ allocating anything, so what is better about the change to
wake up kswapd after allocating? Can you perhaps come up with an
example situation also to make this more clear?

Answer
Will GFP_ATOMIC alloc be failing at that point? If yes, then why
not allow kswapd attempt to prevent this condition from occuring?
The existing code reads that the first call to get_page_from_freelist()
has returned no page. Now you are going to start up something that
is at best going to take millisecs to start helping out. Won't it first
grab some pages to do its work? So we are going to be lower
in free memory right when it starts up. Right?

GFP_ATOMIC will not be failing at this point (also, kswapd could
probably have reclaimed several hundred or thousand pages in 1ms,
but that's besides the point -- we do have correct buffering here).

The watermarks go roughly like this:

high -- kswapd stops reclaiming
low -- kswapd is started by any allocation, nothing else happens
min -- non-GFP_ATOMIC can't go below this point; enter direct reclaim
min/X-- GFP_ATOMIC allocations fail below this point
0 -- PF_MEMALLOC fails.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.